Concurrent enrollment with Front Range Community College.
Online Classrooms For This Program
This course will provide students with entry-level welding skills. The Welding Technology program provides training in welding safety, oxyacetylene welding and cutting, plasma arc cutting, brazing, soldering, stick welding (SMAW), and MIG welding (GMAW). Students learn to read and make weld prints and sketches. Basic fabrication skills, including the safe use of shop tools, will be learned in conjunction with class projects and personal projects.
Career Opportunities For This Program
Architect, Auto-Body Specialist, Engineer, Iron Worker, Sheet-Metal Worker, Sculptor, Industrial Designer Machinist
Required Safety Equipment For BTEC Welding Technology 2018-19
The following personal protective equipment (PPE) is required for working in the welding shop. The students must provide their own equipment. In the following list, items that may be purchased at BTEC have their prices in parentheses. This is the price that BTEC will sell that item for; you are not required to purchase anything from BTEC. There is other safety equipment that will be provided. All Welding Technology students will have a locker at BTEC to hold their equipment.
- Safety Glasses – Must have “Z87” inscribed on them ($2)
- Welding Gloves – Must be all leather and have a high cuff ($5)
- Welding Jacket – Must have leather sleeves ($45)
- Welding Hood – I recommend Harbor Freight for this item
- Safety Toe Boots – Leather recommended. Available at Walmart, Army Surplus, etc. The toe must be reinforced with steel or a composite material. To be sure you have the right boot look for the following inscriptions on the inside of the tongue: “ANSI Z41” or “62 FR 40141” and/or one of these: “C/75”, “C/50”, “C/30”, and one of these: “I/75”, “I/50”, “I/30”.
- Cotton Jeans – no shorts allowed
- Cotton Shirt – Long or short sleeve. This will be worn under the welding jacket
See you in class!